Sunday, March 4, 2012

11 Things

Photobucket
You have probably seen this all around the blogosphere. I've been enjoying reading them, so I wanted to join in too :)

Here are the rules..
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a photo of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for you in the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you’ve tagged them.

11 Things
1. I am really into (kinda obscure) music. I love oldies, funk, pop music, new wave, PUNK, shoe gaze, dream pop, indie pop, emo, hardcore, post hardcore etc. etc. Some of my favourite bands/artists are: Nick Drake, the Monkees, the Beatles, The Stone Roses, Morrissey/Smiths, The Exploding Hearts, Over The Atlantic, Junica, Cut Off Your Hands, The Pains of Being Pure At Heart, New Order, The Buzzcocks, Ryan Adams, Cut Copy, Saves the Day, Mineral, early Green Day, Third Eye Blind and The Zombies. Some of the newer bands I'm enjoying at the moment are: WU LYF, The Vaccines, Yuck and Best Coast (Want to exchange mix cd's?! Contact me)

2. Only a TINY FEW people know it, but I have a really crass sense of humour and get an absolute kick out of talking about extremely gross things with my friends. You can find me dry heaving of laughter when I'm hanging out with Christie or Jermee.

3. I was a university cheerleader, and I was on the dance team in high school. One of the coolest memories I have was flying on a private plane with the UNLV football team to Colorado Springs and Albuquerque. On another note, I am a huge Runnin' Rebels fan. Go Rebs!

4. I am all too aware of our own mortality. I'm terrified of death and wish life would slow down. I can't imagine living in a world where my loved ones will eventually pass. I am trying to soak in as much time with my family because I know nothing lasts forever. I hope we meet again in a better place.

5. I played the clarinet for 6 years and used to play the piano/keyboard for fun when I was younger.

6. The first concert I went to was New Kids On The Block. The second concert I went to was Bad Religion. :)

7. I treasure my silly, crazy, intelligent and inspirational girl friends. Before I moved to New Zealand, I had the most amazing girl friends. I am still extremely close with them and CANNOT wait to be in the same country again.

8. I don't really like living in Auckland or New Zealand, and I have trouble being myself and connecting with people. And I HATE that I have to cover it up all the time. It offends many people, so I never talk about it. I've had countless conversations with people about why I should LOVE it here and why the USA isn't as great(to them). We all have our own opinion right?! I respect your opinion; please respect mine. If we can't discuss the way we truthfully feel, we're only being dishonest with ourselves. I enjoyed the thrill and adventure of living overseas during the first year, but it's too far from home and too isolated from the rest of the world. I've also had some pretty terrible experiences here that I won't mention. I DO think that it's a great place to visit, and I will enjoy visiting again in the future. It is really beautiful here, and I'll miss the family and friends we've made. BUT...I can't wait to go home. If you're offended, read #4 again. Life is too short.

9. I have an amazing pen pal named L who lives in Brooklyn! We've been friends for about three years now. We met for five minutes in passing back in 2004, and many years later she read my blog and contacted me. She is my confidante and has one of the biggest hearts I have ever seen. She has helped me brave the past few years being so far from home. It is so wonderful to have such a good-spirited friend who you can trust and openly talk to about anything. I can't wait to get back State side and hang out with this lady. Ahhhhh!

10. I can understand my mom's dialect Visaya and speak a little bit of it. I know only a little bit of Tagalog, and I can speak very basic, basic Spanish. I would LOVE to be able to speak Tagalog and Spanish fluently one day!

11. My first cousin Paul Jake is a celebrity in the Philippines. If we were to walk down the street or go to the store, he would probably be chased and mobbed. LOL. Also, my mom's first-cousin is Filipino professional basketball player Dale Singson. It seems that everybody in my family has a famous first cousin. :P


Jen’s 11 Questions...
1. If money, schooling or time was no obstacle, what career would you choose?
Ahhhh! I would volunteer, be a graphic/web designer or novelist

2. What’s the one thing you look forward to every day?
Coming home to see my sweetie

3. What is your number one, all-time, favorite blog?
Ah! Tough! I've been lj friends with Keiko Lynn since 2004! I adore her and feel like I've grown up with her blog. I love reading all the old/new Delightful Dozen blogs. There are so many creative and inspirational women that have been a part of that blogging collective.

4. Biggest online pet peeve?
The jealousy, criticism and excessive consumerism that bloggers direct towards each other- For example, I read a girl's comment saying she spends some $700 a week on her wardrobe and would write nasty horrible things about other women who didn't have the "right shoes" or the right clothing pieces. Seriously??? She also didn't understand why some blogs were so popular. Drink up the haterade. Not everybody can afford to look a certain way, and if they did, and were successful, there's nothing wrong with that.

5. What is your all-time favorite book?
The Great Gatsby

6. What would your “last meal” be?
Wow, this is morbid, but probably pizza or Mexican food. YUMMMMM.

7. Do you believe in love at first sight?
NO. There's much more to it than looks!

8. What would your ideal Sunday morning consist of? Brunch, coffee, walking around the city, sitting at a park, reading, taking pictures, spending time with my husband, family and friends.

9. Why do you blog? I've been blogging since I was 18-years-old! That's over 12 years now. It is fun to meet new people, keep in touch with old friends, constantly be inspired by creative people, and it's wonderful to look back on things you probably would have forgotten about. I love laughing at some of the stupid stuff I wrote 5 years ago etc. I need to blog more. I really do.

10. If you had to choose one color to wear forever, what would you pick?
Red!

11. What is your all-time favorite band?
Ahhhh, the Monkees and the Beatles. Sorry can't decide on that one.

I'm basically tagging everybody who wants to do this! And if you do, leave me a comment with your link! I'm also going to keep the same 11 questions as above. :)

Okay, your turn!
Katie K!, Heather!


Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. 4. I identify with this so much! I am often thinking about how quickly time is passing by... I think it's because I can remember everything from about the age of 3! Nothing has been forgotten, and nothing seems that long ago, but it really is, and that makes me think how quickly the next 30 years will pass!

    8. Fair enough, I say! I don't really know, not having lived in another country, but I can imagine how many subtle things must really add up after a while and make you feel homesick/out of place. Not just bad experiences, but even things like how you talk/dress/your outlook on life/humour - these things would stand out so much in another country, and I don't think I'd like that much either! So I'm definitely not offended! :)

    Q5. Interesting! I tried listening to the audiobook of this, but didn't get into it. Maybe that's because I'm not a very aural person. Why did you like it so much? Maybe I'll give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph!

    #4- :*(

    #8- You couldn't have described it any better. After this experience, I don't know if I could realistically live comfortably anywhere else in the world. I am amazed out how many people live overseas, settle and survive long term. There's no place like home :)

    I hope you enjoy your travels. It's always great to take a break and then come back home and appreciate it a little bit more.

    Q5. Ahhh, I think reading it would be a totally different experience rather than listening. I love how every line in that book is so well written. I first read it back when I was 15, and I couldn't put it down. I enjoyed imagining what life could have been like in the jazz age, the doomed romance and relating to the so-called "American dream." I watched a documentary on Fitzgerald before I read the book and his life wasn't that much different. [[[There are so many Fitzgerald references with Dan Humprey's character (& Serena) on GG. :)]]]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I will give it another go, then! The 1920s is my favourite decade, so I *should* like it. My challenge this year (in lieu of a decent NY resolution!) is to read all those books that everyone's read but me - so I shall be busy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great decade :) I want to read more from the "Lost Generation" of writers in that decade. That's a good resolution! I'm also looking forward to reading and catching up on a million books this year!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & say hello! If you have one, I'll check out your blog too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...