Monday, August 6, 2012

New Zealand Wedding

In March, I took photos as a second shooter at my friend Maggie's Samoan/Niuean themed wedding. It was the first Pacific Island-themed wedding I've ever been to. I say that- as that's exactly what the groom asked me! (I went to a Maori wedding in 2010 where they sang in Maori, served a hangi and did several hakas! It was also held inside the Destiny Church. Needless to say, it was an amazing experience. Although, I'm unsure if Maori people consider themselves as Pacific Islanders but Polynesians.)

As the second photographer, I captured so, so, so many tender and memorable moments. My favourite part was when the wedding party stepped outside the church. Everybody was hooting, howling and grinning ear-to-ear. I met Maggie's bro who was the videographer, who's also an amazing photographer. Turns out he's a prominent Australian contemporary dance choreographer who travels around the world for dance companies. It was inspiring just being in his presence. This day was so inspiring.

The wedding continued on with several cultural traditions like singing, chants, dances, Nieuan cloths rolled out where money was collected. Apologies as I don't know what it was called, but it was a Nieuan tradition! There were Hawaiian, Tahitian, Samoan, Cook Island and Niuean dances! And then eventually the bride's family ended the reception with an amazing hip hop dance. The people at this wedding were so enthusiastic about dancing. I honestly want a CD mix of the fun Samoan dance music I heard that day. I can see why our friend Jeff had such a great time in Samoa dancing there!

Here are a few of my favourites that I was fortunate to catch: Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket




Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

All photos were taken by me with a Canon Rebel XT DSLR.


I have never taken photos at a wedding before. I learned on the go, you can't hesitate if you want to catch the moment. I was in everybody's face with my camera. And yes, I would definitely do it again! It made me realise how much I miss connecting with people and taking photos. It was a beautiful day with so much love. It was a beautiful way to start my goodbyes to New Zealand.

PS. Yes, I brought back the Queen's English and spelling for this post.

xo
jv

Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest - instagram: jenvegas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment & say hello! If you have one, I'll check out your blog too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...