Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Great Gatsby: 2012

Filming for the latest adaptation of The Great Gatsby is underway, and it makes me really excited and nervous. (*WARNING* Geeky appreciation post)

This book is one of my all-time favourites! Love it or hate it? One of my friends absolutely detests this book.

Photobucket
...
Leonardo DiCaprio will star as "Jay Gatsby." He happens to be one of my favourite actors, so I have faith that he'll do the character justice. Funnily enough, I can't think of any other actor that would suit this role, so Leonardo it is!

Photobucket
photo by Baz Luhrmann
Carey Mulligan is set to be "Daisy Buchanan." I've only seen her in An Education, and I thought she was brilliant.

I first read this book when I was 15 for my English Lit. class. Just as I started reading it, I remember stumbling across an F. Scott Fitzgerald documentary on the history channel. I was fascinated and hooked! I finished this book long before it was due to be finished. In my senior yearbook dedication from my family, there's a photo of me holding this book in class.

I adore ANY and all Gatsby references like Gatsby's American Dream, my old high school classmates calling the west siiiiide "west egg", Gossip Girl character Dan Humphrey being inspired by Fitzgerald and Serena catching someone reading, The Beautiful and The Damned. And me, hanging out in Long Island pondering the "American dream."

I had this tradition of reading the book every year. I wanted to write exactly how the words were pieced together in that book. I would soak up line after line wondering about Fitzgerald's creative genius. Sadly, I left my copy in storage and haven't read it since I moved out here. I'm clearly withering away.

Photobucket
I've seen the 1974 adaptation with Mia Farrow & Robert Redford twice. The first time I watched I was expecting something...a bit more. I hear all the other versions are lacklustre.

Will you go see this movie when it comes out in 2012?

6 comments:

  1. Definitely! One of my favourite books of all time! I remember watching an old movie adaption (can't remember the year) with a much younger (but just as charming) Robert Redford playing Gatsby, in a pink suit that I thought was amazing (and I'm pretty sure I read afterwards it was Armani).

    Can't wait to see how Leonardo DiCaprio does it. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with him (I blame it on Titanic) but I want to stay positive about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should watch Woody Allen's latest, "Midnight in Paris." It's about an American writer visiting Paris who enters the art world of the 1920s every night. It's magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I want to see it! I've also seen the made for T.V. version with Paul Rudd...I don't remember much about that one, but any Great Gatsby adaptation is worth watching to me if only for the costumes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've started re-reading this in preparation <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. @V I'm curious now! I should try to watch all the other versions out there. I'd probably have a different opinion of it now as I'm a big older.

    @A2 I've heard so many good things about that movie! They're playing it here like once in a while at the art house movie theatre. Definitely on my wish list!

    @Heather Had no idea Paul Rudd was in one too! Teenage crush. Very true. Love the style of the jazz age!

    @Renee Chris might have a copy somewhere too. Very excited for this! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two words: Baz Luhrmann. It's in good hands, especially with Leo heading up the cast. I cannot. wait. This has always been one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment & say hello! If you have one, I'll check out your blog too. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...